WHAT’S THE BEST THING YOU’VE EVER SPENT MONEY ON?
I know that those in the FIRE community aim to live as frugally and as meaningfully as possible… but is there something that you’ve spent $$ on, even though others in the community might frown upon the purchase?
Previously I have published a post on 10 things I would NEVER buy, so today I am doing the opposite to explain a heap of the pricey things I’ve bought that have provided me loads of joy and saved me money in the long term, making them fantastic value and the ultimate frugal splurge.
If you follow the blog for a while you will probably find this a bit of a surprise, because I come across like I never spend money on anything. Let me know if anything here shocks you 😂
I have chucked in Links to Amazon in this post, which if you click through a small percentage of any sale will go to supporting the CaptainFI blog – so thank-you if you do. Make sure you check Gumtree and Facebook marketplace for any bargain second hand deals before buying on Amazon
LifeProof phone case
This is probably the best investment I have ever made. I still have an old iPhone and credit to the LifeProof case, it has had a bloody hard life.
How it saved me money: I have not had to replace a phone in over 7 years
- Compatible with iPhone 12 & iPhone 12 Pro
- Survives: drops from 2 meters
- Formed: for a slim profile + direct touch (SCREENLESS)
- Shields: ports, mic, and speakers
- Proper installation of a LifeProof product is important to successful use so please review the installation video and check the user manual to ensure correct installation Includes LifeProof 1-year limited warranty (see website for details) and 100% authentic
LifeProof iPad case
This is probably the best investment I have ever made. I still have an old iPad and credit to the LifeProof case, it has had a bloody hard life.
How it saved me money: I have not had to replace my iPad in over 10 years
Read my article about shaving years off from your financial independence? A good quality electric shaver is how I do it.
How it saved me money: I do not have to buy expensive razors or shaving cream, and this thing uses barely any power
No products found.
Read my article about shaving your way to financial independence? A good quality buzz cut shaver is how I do it.
How it saved me money: I do not have to buy expensive haircuts anymore
No products found.
RM Williams leather boots
RM Williams leather boots – a seriously fantastic purchase, they’re insane quality (lasted over 10 years so far) and I wear them every day
How it saved me money: I have not had to buy replacement boots in over 12 years (but I did get them re soled as I wore the heels out)
- Leather: Cowhide
- Rubber sole
- Inset elastic ankle panels, Branded woven heel loops at the cuff, Stacked heel
- Made in Australia
- Chelsea boots
Leatherman Multi tool
Leatherman multi tool always comes with me in my flight bag, back pack or pocket and super useful
How it saved me money: I do not need to buy other tools, and it has saved me time on a number of occasions when I needed to make small repairs to the aircraft (don’t stress – I don’t perform illegal maintenance and there is a bunch of little stuff pilots are allowed to fix on the aircraft instead of calling maintenance).
- ONE OF OUR BEST: A classic, designed and assembled with premium materials; The Wingman is your go-to tool for projects around the house, on the job or at the campsite
- 14 TOOLS IN 1: Equipped with 14 tools to handle almost anything: knife, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, a wire stripper, scissors, a package opener, bottle and can openers, a file and a ruler
- OUR GUARANTEE: We’re proud to stand behind every product that leaves our factory in Portland, Oregon; That’s why we offer our 25-year warranty, so you can be confident your Leatherman lasts a lifetime
- ONE-HAND OPENING: Open all the tools with one hand, even the ones that aren't accessible from the outside; And with a locking blade, you can cut with confidence
- ALWAYS ON HAND: With its compact size, lightweight design and removable pocket clip, your Wingman is always within reach and ready to work
Bose A20 Aviation headset
Bose A20 aviation headset – the most comfortable headset I have ever flown with.
How it saved me money: Reduces fatigue, lets me fly longer, and it doesn’t wear out like the cheap and nasty headsets I have flown with before.
- 30% greater active noise reduction than conventional aviation headsets
- 30% less clamping force than conventional aviation headsets
- Clear audio with active equalization.Automatically shapes and equalizes incoming signals for enhanced clarity and intelligibility
- Customizable audio prioritization control lets you mute an audio signal when receiving a communication, or mix the two together
- Connectivity technology : Wired
Bose Soundsport Ear buds
Bose SoundSport ear buds – They are comfy, produce great quality sound, have a really long battery life and blocks out the terrible radio stations played at gyms. They are also waterproof and sweat proof and honestly probably one of my favourite gadgets I own.
How it saved me money: I don’t have to ruin my expensive Bluetooth over ear Bose headphones with sweat from the gym, or if its raining when running.
- The world's most effective noise cancelling earbuds
- Noise cancelling earbuds: 11 levels of active noise cancelling let you enjoy music, podcasts, & videos without distractions. Transparency mode lets the outside world in for quick conversations.
- Acclaimed Bose sound: Crisp, clear details. Deep, full bass. The innovations in these noise cancelling earphones produce exciting, lifelike sound that’s full and balanced at every volume level.
- Comfortable earbuds: Easy to wear all day long because every surface that touches your ear is made of soft silicone. Includes 3 eartip sizes to help you get the best fit.
- Sweat & weather resistant: These IPX4-rated wireless noise cancelling earbuds are proven to pump out great-sounding music, even when they’re subjected to rain, sleet, hail, snow, or sweat.
Electric mountain e-bike
Electric mountain e-bike – this is bloody fantastic and I use it to get around, including ride to work. I was a bit frugal with this one though and did buy it second hand (original RRP $7000+!) and it rides like a dream
How it saves me money: I ride it to the shops and work instead of driving, and I can charge the battery for free at work whilst I am flying!
No products found.
LED bike lights
Essential for riding at night, or even Dawn or Dusk. Dont bother with anything other than a decent LED light from CatEye. I also bought red flashing tail lights too.
How it saves me money: By not being hit by cars when riding my bike at night I have saved at least some money
- High power headlight: Ride into the night with a high intensity white LED equipped with OptiCube lens technology for a wide beam; Features excellent side visibility for safety
- USB rechargeable: Runs up to 50 hours and charges in just 4-8 hours with the included micro USB cable; Low battery indicator lights up when it's under 20% battery so you're never left in the dark
- 4 light modes: Ride any time of day with 4 light modes (High, Low, Daytime HyperConstant and Flashing) and mode memory function; Quickly change to High with a double-click of the power button
- Easy on and off: Includes adjustable FlexTight bracket that fits handlebars up to 35 mm in diameter; Our improved release button makes it easy to take the light off to charge
- Heavy duty design: Durable aluminum alloy body with a streamlined style that looks good on any bike; Measures 1.3 x 3.9 x 1.5 in (34 x 100 x 37 mm) and weighs 0.26 lbs (117 g)
High performance Laptop
Fully specc’ed up – I bought this on sale from JB Hi-Fi when I started my undergrad uni studies in 2009, and then paid to upgrade the RAM (a whole 2GB lol!). This 13-year-old laptop now powers the CaptainFI Blog
How it saved me money: By paying a lot initially for a quality laptop that was overspec’d, I did not need to replace it. For those technically savvy out there, I have upgraded the operating system a few times (bouncing between linux and back) and this alone helps to lengthen the lifespan of the laptop
- Ninth-generation 8-Core Intel Core i9 Processor
- Stunning 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- AMD Radeon Pro 5500M Graphics with GDDR6 memory
- Ultrafast SSD
Rather than buying magazines, I use my iPad to surf the web and read FIRE blogs. I also use it with OzRunways which provides me extra situational awareness when flying (it is part of my Electronic Flight Bag). I also unwind by streaming or learning new skills YouTube (like how to service my car and being my own mechanic has saved me thousands)
How it saved me money: Not buying magazine subscriptions, helps me with DIY projects, makes me more productive at work
- Gorgeous 10.2-inch Retina display
- A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Support for Apple Pencil (1st generation) and Smart Keyboard
- 8MP back camera, 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera
- Stereo speakers
Bose Noise cancelling headphones
Bose noise cancelling earphones- AMAZING for when I was studying for my last degree and just needed to block out anyone in the office. Just dont wear them at the gym
How they saved me money: COUNTLESS hours of productivity gained from the noise cancelling aspect.
- Powerful noise cancelling headphones: 11 levels of active noise cancelling let you enjoy music, podcasts, videos & calls without distractions
- Astonishing sound: Crisp, clear details. Deep, full bass. These wireless headphones produce exciting, lifelike sound that’s full and balanced at every volume level
- Unrivaled voice pickup: A revolutionary microphone system adapts to noisy and windy environments so your voice always sounds crystal clear on calls
- Keep your head up and hands free: With easy access to voice assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant for music, navigation, weather, and more, and intuitive touch control on the earcups — you can stay connected without reaching for your phone
- Premium design and comfort: With a lightweight stainless steel headband and earcups tilted for the perfect fit, you can comfortably wear these bluetooth headphones for hours
Doterra diffuser and oils
Look who knows if this shit works but it seems to help keep me calm, unwind and be well rested for work to boost productivity. Also makes my apartment smell good in case I invite ladies over to my bachelor pad 😂
How it saves me money: Increased productivity and better rest means I work harder.
- Substantial mist output helps purify and humidify the air
- 1, 2, and 4 hour diffuser settings. Optional LED light
- Ultra-fine mist reaches up to 330 square feet
- Simple, 3-piece diffuser is easy and convenient to use
- Stable and light for the many spaces in your life
Bose Noise portable Bluetooth speaker
It pairs to my iPhone for music on the go and is light so I can take it with me flying, road trips, beach, camping etc, and when when home I just connect it to my TV / Google chromecast and I can stream Netflix / YouTube etc.
How it saved me money: I literally sold my massive home theatre system (which took up heaps of space) for thousands of dollars and replaced it with this high quality portable Bluetooth speaker.
- Crisp, balanced sound and unmatched bass for a Bluetooth speaker its size, plays loud and clear outdoors for beach days or camping trips
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out loud with a wireless range of approximately 30 feet.
- Waterproof speaker from the inside out (IPX7 rating), with soft, rugged exterior, resists dents, cracks and scratches
- Easily portable with a tear resistant strap to bring it wherever you go, strap to your backpack, cooler or handlebars
- Up to 6 Hours of play time from a rechargeable battery and wireless Bluetooth pairing.
Station wagon ($20,000) – I bought this 6-year-old car second hand in 2013 with 20,000 kms on the clock, gave it a complete overhaul and it has served me well for 8 years! This 14-year-old wagon is still the best car I have ever had, and still looks and drives brand new
Seriously, Sharesight wasn’t ever not going to make the list of purchases that made my life easier 🤣
Tent and camping gear
I actually have a full suite of camping gear – a Tent, Shower bag and ensuite tent, Dutch (camp) oven, camping stove etc you name it!
How it saves me money: When I go on road trips I take my camping gear instead of paying for hotels or motels along the way!
- Dome tent with a sturdy frame that withstands 35+ mph winds
- Easy setup in only 10 minutes. Good for backpacking
- Weathertec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Large windows and a ground vent for superior ventilation
- Measures 7 x 5 feet with 4-foot center height
Nutri bullet blender
If you have protein shakes like I do (I use organic vegan pea protein just to be safe – my doctors recommendation) then you will hate clumps when you use your shakers. I just blitz my post workout shakes in my nutribullet, and its also great for making cocktails
How it saves me money: Compact and does the job of a larger blender which can cost literally hundreds.
No products found.
I replace my running shoes every year with high quality expensive shoes selected by my podiatrist, and probably put about 1000km on them every year. I can stretch it longer and I do have special orthotics to help provide more arch support, but the podiatrist recommends replacing them every 6 months – of course she would say that though, she is part of ‘big footwear’ and its a conspiracy to make us spend more 😂
How it saves me money: Not replacing shitty ones that fall apart after a few hundred kms. Bonus side tip: Not trashing them by wearing them in the gym weightlifting makes them last longer, too!
- Heel Clutching System Technology provides improved support and creates improved heel fitting environment
- FlyteFoam Midsole Technology provides exceptional bounce back and responsiveness no matter the distance
- FluidFit Upper combines multi-directional stretch mesh with stretch reinforcements that adapt to the athlete's foot
- FluidRide Midsole provides the ultimate combination of bounce back and cushioning properties with reduced weight and exceptional durability
- Rearfoot and forefoot GEL technology attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle
It might be a massive wank and a weird flex, but these shoes are great for Squats and Deadlifts. Recommended by my physiotherapist, podiatrist and an e
How it saves me money: Keeps my runners purely for running, so I dont need to replace them as often.
No products found.
These have been some of the most expensive things I own, which have really improved my quality of life and saved me money. What have you spent money on that you don’t regret?